Many glaciologists believe that the current worldwide retreat of glaciers is influenced by global warming. They believe global warming is caused by the buildup of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere since humans began using fossil fuels during the Industrial Revolution. Higher average temperatures are causing glaciers to melt faster than they can be replenished by winter snows.
- glaciologist [ˌɡleiʃiˈɔlədʒist] n.冰河学家
- retreat [riˈtri:t] n. 冰川后退
- global warming [ˈɡləubəl - ˈwɔ:miŋ] n.全球变暖
- buildup [bildʌp] n. 累积
- greenhouse gas [ˈɡri:nhaus - ɡæs] n. 温室气体
- fossil fuel [ˈfɔsl - fjuəl] n. (煤、石油、天然气等)矿物燃料
- replenish [riˈpleniʃ] v.补充